Friday, March 11, 2011

Wonder Rotunda

Throughout this experience of using and playing different digital games I must say I am seeing a lot of repetition within sites. There are lots and lots of sites that offer educational games for students, especially in the areas of reading and math. I also have seen a lot of similar game styles although the content may be different. As a PE teacher I mainly saw educational games about health and nutrition, but when it came time for sports games they were much more in the realm of “just for fun” and less educational. I am still searching for a sport game that is more skill based than just pointing and clicking the mouse. For example, I want to see a game where the player needs to assess and correct the form of a basketball player in order for the player on the screen to make the shot. This quest led me to my next game discovery of “Wonder Rotunda.” Although it is unrelated to sports, this game is much different than any other game I have seen during my gaming experiences. Unfortunately, it is a game that people need to pay for so I didn’t get to explore beyond various game trailers they offer in their grand “Wonder Rotunda” world. It is in the form of a virtual theme park that allows the player to navigate to various games, adventures, and challenges. I am really curious about one of the safari games where avatars will learn the dangers of going on a safari but also be educated about different animals living in those areas. I think it is a great mix of educational information and game captology. If anyone has a subscription to this game or has been a part of Wonder Rotunda please post a reply and let me know if it is as educational as it seems. I’m dying to know more about it but am not sure I should spend the money for it as an adult on a teacher’s salary with no children of my own!!! (This game was copyrighted in 2011 by Wonder Rotunda.)

No comments:

Post a Comment