Monday, March 7, 2011

Symmetry Game

Symmetry Game I decided to look under some more traditional educational games websites today for some concepts that we work on in PE that overlap with their math units in their regular classes. In first and second grade we spend some time focusing on the concepts of symmetry. I generally try to teach the students about the differences between symmetrical and non-symmetrical objects as well as have the students identify various lines of symmetry. I play a lot of physical games reinforcing these concepts but wanted to find a game that my students could play at home or when given free time on the computer to review what we have learned. Today I found a game called “The Symmetry Game” from www.innovationslearning.co.uk. This game was a perfect game for my purposes because it asks the player to identify the number of lines of symmetry in various shapes. If the player gets an answer correct the game gives positive reinforcement and moves on to the next shape challenge. If the player gets an answer incorrect the game says “so close” and allows the student the opportunity to “see the shape fold” to clarify the different lines of symmetry that are in the shape. I think my students would enjoy this game although it is not very stimulating for younger children. It does not have any characters or bright colors, or anything that would really draw students to play it, but it is challenging and in general I think it will keep the player engaged while they are playing it. Final Conclusion: I think this game is very educational and is definitely a game I would encourage my students to play. (This game was designed and developed in association with Hampshire Schools.)

No comments:

Post a Comment